Possible Brim Cup tested positive for HVX

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Possible Brim Cup tested positive for HVX

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Today a newer hosta gardener stopped by and asked me to ID some of her plants - one looked like Brim Cup, maybe Wide Brim, and it had a few small wart-like bumps on it, but with no color change. I mentioned that it looked like Hosta Virus X, and sure enough, using one of the AGDIA test strips it gave a very rapid positive test (lit up that positive test line so dark and fast it would make your head spin).

This strange bumping/distortion can be very hard to see because it is subtle, with no other color changes going on, but I'm seeing it more and more. Three times this year I've had people bring me leaves for identification where there has been a virus infected leaf in among the batch of leaves. Last year it happened twice, and they weren't even bringing them to me to ask about the virus - just help with an ID.

This makes me think that the virus is getting worse and worse, with more unsuspecting gardens having infected plants. Basically be on the lookout for strange, unusual and uneven bumping and distortion as it could be virus. I'm not talking about corrugation which is perfectly normal, but strange wart-like bumps. I wish I had a picture of it, but my camera batteries were dead at the time :(

Chris
Noreaster

Re: Possible Brim Cup tested positive for HVX

Post by Noreaster »

I wish you had a picture, too. I'm always freaking out a bit when I see a leaf that isn't perfectly smooth, that I think ought to be. One of the first signs I had that something was wrong with Halcyon was a slightly rumpled appearance to some of the leaves. I *think* I see a bit of it in a few Halcyon related hosta in my garden and I'm nervous about those now. I need to get some of those strips.

The scope of HVX is so depressing. I was at a botanical garden in Boothbay, Maine last week and they have hundreds of hosta planted as groundcover all over the place. I didn't notice it at the time, but when I looked at my pictures when I got home, I am pretty sure I saw HVX on one group. I need to figure out how to contact them about that.
Last edited by Noreaster on Jul 14, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

bummer!!!!!! :(
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hello,
Funny warts/bumps are the first to show up and for me it is the following year I see the "inkbleed", especially on a cold uneven year.
Be part of the solution
New Topic Post Reply