Virus in a friend's hosta?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Virus in a friend's hosta?

Post by ViolaAnn »

This large green hosta belongs to a friend and she's rather fond of it, but it sure doesn't look good to me. However, while it is mottled, there is no sunken tissue and it isn't classic "ink bleed". She doesn't know the variety of hosta and didn't know anything about HVX until I told her. But she agreed for me to post pictures and get an opinion.
The entire plant showing the mottled leaves.
The entire plant showing the mottled leaves.
DSCF0023_resize.jpg (113.87 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
A leaf with my hand for size.
A leaf with my hand for size.
One mottled leaf.
One mottled leaf.
Another mottled leaf.
Another mottled leaf.
The back side of a leaf. No sunken tissue but the colour shows through.
The back side of a leaf. No sunken tissue but the colour shows through.
DSCF0022_resize.jpg (65.01 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Buckeye

Re: Virus in a friend's hosta?

Post by Buckeye »

Interesting pics you have there, ViolaAnn. First of all it looks like H. 'Fortunei Hyacinthina', or something very similar like 'Aoki' or 'Jade Beauty', all of which are known to sport frequently. That sure doesn't look like a typical sport to me though, and I would be very suspicious of it.

I recently came across some 'Fried Green Tomatoes' with very similar mottling--no inkbleed, no sunken tissue, just this odd mottling. They were run through a battery of ELISA tests for HVX, Cucumber Mosaic virus, Arabis Mosaic virus, Impatiens Necrotic Spot virus, Tomato Spotted Wilt virus, a range of potyviruses, and I think another 1 or 2 that are slipping my mind right now. All tests came back negative! They weren't tested for Tobacco Rattle virus because primers were not available for that one, but just about every other virus that has been reported in hostas was tested for. The owner destroyed them anyway, rather than risk a problem. It would have been an interesting one to look at with electron microscopy.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thanks for your comments. I'm hoping that Chris will weigh in on this one. I'm also very tempted to use my last test strip for this person's hosta. but I'm torn between saving it for my own collection and using it up in the garden of a friend who buys hostas just anywhere including a shop where I saw plants which obviously were virused in 2008 (though, I admit they LOOKED good this year).
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

Hi Ann. I would be very suspicious of this one as well. Even if it's not HVX, it certainly looks like some sort of virus to me. I think that we all get caught up in this HVX thing and forget that there are other virus' out there as well. If I had any doubt, I would destroy the plant. It's not worth exposing the rest of your plants to it. If you really want to know if it's HVX, then use your last test strip...you can always get more! But I would destroy the plant regardless of the results.

Lynn
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

I'm waiting on Chris for this one too.....

While it looks bad and I'm suspicious of it, I couldn't say for sure yes or no. I'd probably use the strip if either of you are concerned and would like to keep the plant. Like it was said, you can always get more. However, if you/she plan on destroying the plant anyway - save your strip.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Mike
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I agree with the other comments that it looks very suspicious, and although it might be HVX, it might be another virus too. Since it is on new leaves, old leaves, and even leaves that are covered up by good looking ones, I would say that whatever it is, it is inside the plant and not something like chemical damage. And the back of that leaf you showed us looks perfectly fine, so that rules out mite damage. Since your friend is rather fond of this plant it might be tough to convince them to get rid of it, but if that mottling continues to get worse I think you will need to try to persuade them that keeping it isn't worth the risk.

Viruses other than HVX continue to be found in hostas, like Buckeye mentioned, and some of the other ones spread even easier than HVX, so it is a risk to keep these around.
New Topic Post Reply