Is this HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

joesandy1822
USDA Zone: 6

Is this HVX?

Post by joesandy1822 »

I am new here, and SO thankful to have found this forum. I am not new at all to hostas, but completely new to viruses. Did not know they even existed. I will post my story on the Hosta forum, but for now, is this HVX, another virus, nematodes, ??? Or am I just paranoid? I don't even know the name of this hosta. Am guessing Sum and Substance, but not sure.

Thanks so much!

Sandy

eastwood2007

Re: Is this HVX?

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Sandy -
Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, there are a number of us here who made it to the forums drawn by info on HVX!!!!

I am not the expert here, but Chris will probably see this soon. Personally it doesn't look like HVX, but frost damage or injury of some kind when it was leafing out.

Good luck with this one and jump right in and join us! It's a pretty good group here.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome to the forums Sandy :)

I agree completely with Charla, that doesn't look like HVX but looks instead like frost/freezing damage from before it was leafing out. Look on the back of the leaf (can you post a picture of the back for us too?) and it will likely have some brown or shiny lines running down the back, sort of like some of the veins were fused together by frost/freezing damage. This isn't anything to worry about.

Now go over to the hosta forum and tell us about your gardens, your collection, your favorite plants... :D

Have fun!

Chris
joesandy1822
USDA Zone: 6

Post by joesandy1822 »

Thank you both so much for taking time to reply. I was so afraid, and I am so new to viruses and the bad stuff that I just don't know the symptoms well enough yet. To tell the truth, this whole thing has really upset me. I know it's silly, but when I had hostas and was ignorant about the "bad" stuff, I was much happier. Now I am just paranoid. If it's not a virus, then it's gonna be nematodes or something. And most of my hostas came from my dear Great Grandad of 92 years old. I hate to think I could get something that would wipe them all out or make them look nasty (nematodes) and there would be nothing I could do about it. I guess that's life.

I will post a couple more pictures soon of two other plants I am concerned about. I'm sure it is nothing, but since I found this great place, I can get some peace of mind from all you great experts!

Everybody have a great day! :)

Sandy
New Topic Post Reply