Problem with Elegans

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Xela
USDA Zone: 5

Problem with Elegans

Post by Xela »

Hi there,
I am concerned about this hosta which I purchased labelled as "Elegans". The new growth is coming out yellow and gradually darkening. I was going to move it to a new area with better drainage when I learned about HVX. Does anyone have any advice for me about what could be going on with this hosta? I am a total newbie to ornamental gardening and this year went overboard purchasing hostas for all of my shady areas prior to learning about HVX.
Attachments
Elegans
Elegans
Showing new growth habit
Showing new growth habit
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Problem with Elegans

Post by Chris_W »

Hello,

This new growth pattern is not HVX, and is quite common when you see a new flush of foliage like this. This is definitely not a problem.

HVX and other viruses tend to travel along and radiate out from the veins and color changes from a virus tend to first show on the veins and when you have a virus the pattern is very uneven. In this case the coloring on the veins is normal with the wrong color between the veins, plus it is fairly uniform across the leaf. Virus won't be that uniform, and the wrong color would be on the veins.

In time they will color up correctly as they absorb more nutrients. Still keep an eye on it, as it could still be carrying a virus, but that's not what you are seeing here.

Hope that helps :D

Chris
Xela
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Problem with Elegans

Post by Xela »

whew...thank you so much for responding so quickly. I'm looking at all of my hostas and seeing what I think are signs of HVX. I just received my Hostapedia so I will be going through it and reading all of the descriptions of my plants as several have puckering which may be normal.
This is a great forum with tons of information!
Thanks again!!!
New Topic Post Reply