Testing with good results

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Testing with good results

Post by redcrx »

I recently bought some test strips because I have run into some obvious problems - last year two Gold Standard (vein bleeding) and two Blue Cadet (mottling); then this year one Paul's Glory (cell collapse) and two Golden Tiara (leaf bubbling).

I tested four so far that were questionable:
A longissima Akikaze with some "odd" leaf pucking - tested negative.
A sport of August Moon with ugly leaves - tested negative.
A Blue Striptease with odd markings - tested negative.
A Gold Standard sport from a questionable store - tested negative.
This one I wouldn't have purchase from this source but the sport was interesting.

None of the ones I just tested had the "true" look of the X virus. They just looked odd and I was being safe. The Gold Standard is still off on its own - like it's being punished.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Testing with good results

Post by Chris_W »

I'm glad to hear that you are having some success with the test strips. Just remember that sometimes it will take a little while for an HVX infected plant to build up enough of a virus concentration to give you a positive test, so keeping your Gold Standard in isolation for a while longer might still be a good idea.

Personally I wish the cost of the strips was a little lower so that more people could afford to use them. The number of virus infected plants that are currently in gardens, not showing symptoms, would probably shock people :(
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

Chris_W wrote: Personally I wish the cost of the strips was a little lower so that more people could afford to use them. The number of virus infected plants that are currently in gardens, not showing symptoms, would probably shock people :(
I wish they were a little cheaper too! Would love to test more, but may have to do it over a couple years starting with the older ones. Although I'd have to shift money from purchases to testing as there is only so much to go around. I am running out of space, but that hasn't stopped me yet!
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Kas

Post by Kas »

Not showing symptoms like my El Nino :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: . It has gone to the big garbage dump in the sky. I wish they were cheaper as well. I am out and need to get some more. But I just spent $33 on quilt fabric today. Oops! Really only meant to look.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
New Topic Post Reply