Saw my first HVX hosta of 2010 at Menards

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Saw my first HVX hosta of 2010 at Menards

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Sorry to report that HVX has shown up once again this year. These were the very first hostas I have even looked at this year and sure enough, there was Hosta Virus X on Wide Brim. The grower's tag said MI West Shore, Zeeland, MI. I looked up their website and they appear to just be a broker/distributor for a group of growers, but I sent them an email and also contacted the Michigan Department of Agriculture about it. I'll report back on what they say.

Chris
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Saw my first HVX hosta of 2010 at Menards

Post by kaylyred »

That's really disappointing, Chris. :(

I'm looking forward to the day when I won't have to be scrutinizing every plant I see looking for signs of HVX. Thank goodness we have reliable sources like Hallson's to provide us with disease-free plants.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Ugh, I wrote the company who supplied these plants and they thanked me and said they would check into it. I filed a complaint with the Michigan Department of Agriculture too.

Today I was back in Menards and they had a new shipment of hostas since then. Same supplier, even more HVX. Bad case on Wide Brim and on some Golden Tiara, in fact one of the Golden Tiara was so bad I would rate it nearly the worst case of HVX I've ever seen!

Do I write again or just keep beating my head against a wall? :mad:
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Can I do the same here in Ohio? I visited a Greenhouse in Hartville looking for herb plants and just glanced at the hosta. I dont buy any more hosta anywhere else but at Hallsons anymore. :beer: Didnt know I could report it to anybody.
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

No Menards here, and I don't get out much, but I've never seen HVX at nurseries around here (yeah! knock wood.). In a situation like yours, I would immediately try to discuss it with the manager of the garden center where you found it. Did you do that? You certainly have the credentials to speak with authority and you should make that clear.

Menards is the distributor at the local level, so convince the manager to stop buying from that source and have them put the pressure on. You might even become a distributor for the Menards. :) To go the extra mile, offer a free workshop to enlighten the local casual gardeners -- with advertising posters up at Menards. :lol:

Anyway, it's been my experience that "writing again" and "banging my head against the wall" are synonymous. :beer:
OTOH, I always notice that it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. LOL!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

how about photographs of the inventory sent to the right people - whoever they are....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply