Are these symptoms?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Noreaster

Are these symptoms?

Post by Noreaster »

I've got a few hosta with some funky things going on. A few (Supernova, Ventricosa, and possibly Love Pat) are displaying severely stunted and mishapen leaves. I'm most concerned about Supernova...even though I was planning on ditching it this year anyway, it was purchased in 2006 when I started my garden and back then I was pretty clueless about the seriousness of HVX so I'm sure I wasn't as careful handling it as I now am. Here are some pics of Supernova- the leaves are very small, much smaller than they should be for the age of the hosta, I think

not worried about the dessication, just the way the edge looks

This is Ventricosa, which was left in a nursery pot all winter up by my back fence. It was a large division given to me last year. Leaves are very small and distorted.

June had two eyes which looked crumpled before they unfurled. When my Halcyon had HVX, the first thing I noticed was the crumpled looking eyes, so I'm nervous about June now, too. I know I didn't step on them or anything.

Ventricosa and Supernova are in a similar location of the garden, but there are other hosta there too which look fine. Thanks for looking and please excuse my dirty fingernails.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Are these symptoms?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

They all look like winter freeze/spring frost damage. Hostas in pots can get it worse. The only one that gives me pause is Ventricosa, since I see some other things possibly going on there, but the rest I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.

You might wait for the rest of the leaves to unfurl on Ventricosa. Once it is putting up undamaged leaves in another month or so look for more distortion on those. If it is still there are a couple new flushes I would be concerned.

Hope that helps :)

Chris
Noreaster

Re: Are these symptoms?

Post by Noreaster »

Thanks so much, Chris! Even if Ventricosa is sick, that's not terrible news because it's been completely isolated and I got it after I started practicing good garden "hygiene". I'll just set it off to the side and keep an eye on it.
New Topic Post Reply