Photo of leaf damage

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

JanC
USDA Zone: 7

Photo of leaf damage

Post by JanC »

Following up on my previous post, here's what one of the plants looks like. Looks like virus to me, even though I'm hoping someone will say it isn't. It's worrisome to have bought a property where this infection may be flourishing in my favorite garden plant.
PossibleVirusX.jpg
PossibleVirusX.jpg (116.89 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Photo of leaf damage

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jan,

Sorry, but this is a poster child of what a really bad case of Hosta Virus X looks like. Wish I could tell you otherwise, but this is definitely HVX. Destroy it, plant something other than a hosta there.

:(

Chris
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

:eek:

I should have gone to this post first. Oh boy....sorry. :(
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
JanC
USDA Zone: 7

Post by JanC »

Yeah, I knew I was crazy hoping this wasn't the virus, so tomorrow, my first task is to carefully dig and destroy both infected plants. Then I'll watch like a hawk and hope that I don't see this again in the future. It's worrisome. There are alot of hosta at this house (I bought it last fall). It looks like most are fairly generic varieties, probably planted at the same time about five years ago, and many planted too close. I'm praying these two obviously infected plants were isolated enough that it isn't going to spread or I'll be heartbroken. In the meantime, I'm thankful that I didn't have time to move stuff around in the garden last fall, so in desperation I made a new bed and "temporarily" stuck my own plants in there. Looks like they'll be staying in isolation now, I'm in disinfecting every tool that I have before I go near them. Thanks for the feedback, even though it's not great news.
New Topic Post Reply