About those HVX roots...

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Noreaster

About those HVX roots...

Post by Noreaster »

In '08 I dug up an infected Halcyon and stuck it, along with much of the soil it was buried with, in a couple bags that I left over in the "trash" corner. Just never got around to tossing them out. Last year, an infected Wolverine joined the pile, also in a black garbage bag. Yesterday I finally got around to dealing with the trash corner, and was very surprised to see that there were many bits of Halcyon roots that looked like I just dug them up yesterday. And Wolverine was actually growing leaves :o . Does that mean that any lingering roots you may leave behind in the soil might not break down over time? Or did those black bags somehow keep things alive even after all this time? Since it's not possible to dig up a hosta without leaving some bits of roots behind, I've gotten in the habit of lining holes with layers of newsprint every time I move a hosta and replace it with another one, along with fresh soil, but I'm a little freaked out at how long these roots can linger?