One-In-Three, Should We Pinch Off the One?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Phil_and_Gayle
USDA Zone: 5

One-In-Three, Should We Pinch Off the One?

Post by Phil_and_Gayle »

These three plants came bare root and were planted together (sort of) in April 2009. The one in the back tests positive while the other two test virus free. Since they are located so close together, we are reluctant to dig around the virused one. What about just pinching (severing) the foliage from the sick one? Would the roots eventually die (if we kept removing foliage) without this process bothering the other two?
Attachments
BlueShadows_WW10A.JPG
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: One-In-Three, Should We Pinch Off the One?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner :blush:

If you are fairly confident that only the one is infected I would try to pull that one out by prying as close to its crown as possible. Don't try to get all the roots since some might go near the other two but if you leave it too long then the others could get infected as well. If the soil is workable with just your fingers try to pull it up by hand. You will want to get the whole crown of that plant. Just pinching the foliage will not stop the plant from growing - it would send up new eyes from the crown.

Don't plant another hosta in its place -put a rock or some kind of yard "art" there instead.

Good luck!

Chris
Phil_and_Gayle
USDA Zone: 5

Re: One-In-Three, Should We Pinch Off the One?

Post by Phil_and_Gayle »

Thanks Chris. I already popped off the only eye on the one with the virus, but I will try to get the crown today. As to whether I'm confident the other two are okay, I'm only as positive as one can get using the Agdia test strips. We've had very good luck with the strips so far - but for sure, we will be monitoring the remaining two for the rest of their days. Thanks Again - Gayle
New Topic Post Reply