Question Re: Berry Family of Nurseries

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

jpl68
USDA Zone: 5

Question Re: Berry Family of Nurseries

Post by jpl68 »

A local nursery where I live sells hostas from Berry Family of Nurseries. It appears they come from Michigan, which I assume means Zelenka Nursery. Does anyone know whether this Nursery currently has any problems with HVX. I read an old (2005 ish) article from Chris on this site (I think) which mentioned Zelenka Nursery, but was wondering if there are still concerns. Does anyone know? I am just getting into mail order, but would like some instant gratification with some bigger plants for a few spots in my yard I want to fill now.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Question Re: Berry Family of Nurseries

Post by Chris_W »

Hi

I don't have any experience with them, but I knew that Zelenka had either gone out of business or changed hands. The Michigan Ag inspectors are a lot more familiar about HVX now, but often enough plants still get by them. All I have to do is look at how bad things are at Menards, and those plants were from Michigan growers...

Which plants are you thinking of purchasing? If they are from the commonly infected plants I would avoid them. Those include Halcyon, Patriot, Minuteman, Francee, Gold Standard, Wide Brim, Golden Tiara, Sum and Substance... Basically the more common ones. But that doesn't rule out the possibility that ANY hosta plant couldn't be infected.

Let me know what the assortment of plants looks like and I can probably tell if they are Dutch plants or more likely domestic tissue culture.
jpl68

Post by jpl68 »

Thanks for your reply Chris. I went back out to the nursery and the hostas are from Berry Family of Nurseries, originating out of Tehlequah, Oklahoma and Grand Haven, Michigan. The containers from Grand Haven do say Zelenka Nursery, which must be owned by or part of Berry Family of Nurseries. Anyhow, the specific hostas are Paul's Glory, Twilight, Francis Williams, Pilgram, Sieboldiana Elegans, Stained Glass and some others. There is also other hostas in containers which do not specifiy where they originate from. You mentioned Halcyon and this was one (atcutally about 7) that I was interested in buying, but the container does not indicate where they originate from. Unfortunately, there was one Pilgram hosta originating from Berry Family of Nurseries in Tehlequah, Oklahoma that pretty clearly has virus X. As such, I now have little confidence in the health of any of these plants or the local nursery (with respect to their hostas) for that matter.

I only learned about this virus a few days ago when I was looking to purchase from an on-line dealer (because I couldn't find a hosta I wanted locally) and did a google search to find out what on-line dealers had good reputations. The consensus appears to be Hallson Gardens! This is where I came across this forum and the dicussion regarding the virus X. The good news is now I know about it. The bad news is that frankly, about 3 out of every 4 hostas I have looked at since last Friday at a variety of places (Lowes, Menards, Ace Hardware, and a few local Nurseries) seem to possibly have virus X. I don't really believe that 75% of these hostas are infected, but the point is that now every blemish on any leaf makes me wonder (including on every hosta in my yard). Anyhow, I digress, if you know anything more on either of the two outfits mentioned above, please let me know although I think I will stay away at this point. I was hoping since most of the posts on virus X seem to be from 2005, 2006 and 2007 the problem was under control.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

As soon as you mentioned the varieties I could tell these plants are of Dutch origin. Twilight, in particular, seems to only be produced over there and they sell Pilgrim very cheaply too. Yes, I would avoid all of them. Halcyon is one that almost never shows symptoms but I can just about guarantee they are all infected if they are of Dutch origin.

Part of the problem is that once a plant is grown here it can be considered US origin, so can be hard to tell at these types of places.

Unfortunately the problem really isn't that under control. The wholesalers, even the Dutch, are just getting better at weeding out the obviously infected plants. Most of their field testing is by observation, so to them and the USDA inspectors, out of sight is out of mind. Also, the USDA and Dutch inspectors have agreed to allow 5% of the plants coming to the US to be infected. But by the time they are handled, grown, and harvested for sale there is a really good chance most have the virus.

If you want to post pictures here we can usually tell you if what you are seeing is virus or something else. Also, since most of us had to deal with frost damage, watch the second set of leaves to see if the suspicious markings come up in that new set of leaves, or later sets. Frost will only really affect the first set.

Hope that helps!

Chris
jpl68

Post by jpl68 »

Thanks again Chris. Very helpful. I will wait for some new leaves and then post some pic's if I have concerns. In the meantime, I will be placing an order with you very soon. Cheers.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Fact, testing is expensive, so you will not find the tested hostas in the cheap shops.
One rule, if one look infected, they all are, but will first show it later.

Having to dig up and trash a mature hosta becaurse of HVX is not worth the few $ you can save. so bying from Hallsons is very smart. As Chris mention, they are getting better to cull, but look at them late summer :( and you can see what they really are... infected.

Welcome to the forums, hope you will have fun here and with your hostas :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jpl68

Post by jpl68 »

Thanks thy. Placing my first order tomorrow.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Hate to say it, but I would stay away from any OK nurseries for Hosta with exception of one and I have never been there, but know some who have. Most Oklahoma nurseries know nothing about hosta, they don't promote or advertise, so I doubt they even know what HVX is. Seldom do I find anything of any value in the hosta world, just the usual run of the mill hosta that never look healthy and are sort of just thrown in the corner somewhere.
Hallsons is the best place to ensure you get good healthy plants.

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
New Topic Post Reply