Ugly, but is it HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

bookleaves

Ugly, but is it HVX?

Post by bookleaves »

I bought this hosta 4 yrs. ago. This year, it lost its shade, was hit by hail, and has suffered unmitigated sun. I know I should move it. However, does it have HVX? If so, it's next move is to the trash. Thanks very much.

http://www.windycitybooks.com/garden/hosta1.jpg
http://www.windycitybooks.com/garden/hosta2.jpg
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Ugly, but is it HVX?

Post by Tigger »

Hi,

What cultivar is it? It surely looks suspicious, but since the green "bleeding" is all associated with physical damage, and the rest of the color variation might be sun scald or bleaching, it might be o.k.

You should also use, if you can, the IMG "embed" function (as I do here), or the "add picture or file" function, here so your pictures show up right in your posts. Feel free to practice in the practice forum if you're not sure how it works.

David

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

My guess is that this is either Gold Standard or Paul's Glory. The darker green patches are only around damaged parts of the leaves, so that can be discounted, and the parchment coloring is from the sun. I don't see any signs of virus here and wouldn't worry about these color changes.

Hope that helps,

Chris
bookleaves

Post by bookleaves »

Thank you! Thank you! :D I forgot to say it is Paul's Glory. Good eye, Chris! And thanks for the tip on how to include pictures here. I worried they were too big, so hosted them myself. This is a GREAT forum and people are so willing to help. You've made my day, for certain! Ellen :D :D :D
New Topic Post Reply