HVX - Slugs and snails

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Rob
USDA Zone: 8a

HVX - Slugs and snails

Post by Rob »

I have no scientific proof, but it is my firm believe slugs and snails can spread the HVX-virus.

Why do I think so ? Well, unfortunately, it's from my own experience.
I have a pretty large collection; over the years, I must have acquired some HVX-infested plants. I know of 2 that had been in te collection for a long time and showed virus signs a couple of years ago. They were disposed off. Luckily they had never been divided and were grown in containers.
During 2009 and 2010 our garden was infested with masses of snails (and the odd slug). Last year, I found another infected plant, planted out in the garden, in an area with lots of snails. I'm almost absolutely certain it was virus free when I bought it. I removed the plant and a lot of soil where it used to grow.
This year, in the same area, I found two new infections. The snails have mostly gone, but I think they were responsible for spreading the virus in the previous years.
After a thorough check, I found 5 more infected plants in other parts of the garden.
The HVX can survive outside the plant (like in the slime and the intestines of snails ???) for a longer period of time and can be passed on to a healthy plant through a wound (like the holes snails make when feeding).
Not all hostas show HVX signs right away; it can take years for the first signs to appear. In my experience HVX is visisble the soonest in Hostas with H. longipes genes.

So why do I believe the snails are responsible ?
Elementary, my dear Watson: I considered all other possible causes, and none of them applied to my plants.

Not good news, but I thought you all had to know.

Rob
Visit my garden on www.hostamill.be/ENG