So MAD! Mostly at myself...

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

downsouthWDE
USDA Zone: 8

So MAD! Mostly at myself...

Post by downsouthWDE »

Not long ago, I picked up a large Revolution at a local nursery. It had a green sport in it, so I divided it before planting. I planted the green sport away from the rest of it. Today, I was back at the same nursery, and noticed that most of their hostas(hundreds of 'em :o ) looked diseased. They were wimpy looking, and washed out, with spots on them. I came home, and checked out the revolution, and it had a couple tiny spots on the leaves, but looked pretty good. I then looked at the green sport, which I had not paid much attention to lately, and saw this....
IMG_3377-1.JPG
IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_3379-1.JPG
:eek: :x :x :x I know the whole thing must go, including the parts that are still Revolution. :x :x :x The guy that owns this nursery isn't the friendliest guy in the world, and I have hacked this plant into several pieces, so I doubt I will be getting any money back. After seeing the way their hostas looked today, it is obvious they know absolutely nothing about them. Needless to say, I will never spend another dime there. How should I go about informing him that his several hundred hostas are garbage?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: So MAD! Mostly at myself...

Post by Chris_W »

Ugh! It is so sad when nurserymen don't seem to care about plant health issues. I don't blame you for being mad!

If you really think he is unapproachable then simply contact the Alabama department of agriculture and file a complaint. Keep the pictures handy for them, and to be honest, you might actually have to educate the state inspector about hosta virus x at the same time.

Here we can file the complaint online. Check on your state's website to see if you can find a link to file a complaint that way or at least get a phone number. In Michigan they take these things seriously and hopefully your state will too.

Good luck and thanks for sharing these pictures of a definite hvx infected plant.

Chris
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: So MAD! Mostly at myself...

Post by ViolaAnn »

How disappointing. I wish you luck with the nurseryman, although getting your money back is one issue while taking steps to ensure he doesn't sell more diseased plants is another one. Sounds like filing a complain is a good way to go because he's not likely to clear out all those other diseased plants.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply