HOSTA Geisha Ani Machi HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

HOSTA Geisha Ani Machi HVX?

Post by sweetee »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and hate to introduce myself this way. I'm not sure if my hostas are now infected with hvx. I have close to 300, most container grown. This is the first year I am seeing some odd patterns in my hostas. Note: this is also the first year my hostas have been exposed to hail, frost, heavy rains and snows all within a short time period. These pics were shote immediately after a rainstorm, so some markings are puddles of water. I don't want to take a chance that I am ignoring symptoms, so can any of you tell me if my hosta "geisha", ani machi is infected? I have attached photos. I see some of my corrugated-leaved hostas looking like this, so the big question is; how can you tell if a corrugation is normal on the leaf, or hvx? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm questioning if I should have taken up drinking instead of being addicted to hostas :D THANKS!
Attachments
Ani Machi Geisha
Ani Machi Geisha
Geisha Ani Machi
Geisha Ani Machi
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: HOSTA Geisha Ani Machi HVX?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Sweetee,

I don't see anything wrong with this plant. Sometimes potted plants, being exposed so much to the elements like frosts and freezes, do get some distorted and crinkled leaves to them, but it is nothing serious. Give them a bit of weak fertilizer to help push out a new flush of foliage and they will be fine.

When temps warm in the day the eyes want to swell and start to grow, but then freezing weather shrinks and distorts them, so you get crinkling after they emerge. Nothing to worry about :)

Hope that helps.

Chris
sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Re: HOSTA Geisha Ani Machi HVX?

Post by sweetee »

Great! I was just worried about some of the bubbling I'm seeing on the leaf in the pic. I have this on a few other hostas, and never have before. This crazy weather, not being able to get out there to fertilize with all of the rain. I just ordered your CD, so that I can be better informed. Thanks so much for calming my hvx paranoia.
New Topic Post Reply