Suspect Hostas...opinions?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

mpedersen
USDA Zone: 3b

Suspect Hostas...opinions?

Post by mpedersen »

4 questionable hostas have gone into the ground. All looked good initially, but a week or two in and they're breaking down. Obviously these were not grown up north as their leaves are full...most of my hostas are just unfurling their first shoots and some are still nubs in the ground. I have my thoughts, but curious for more experienced growers opinions:

3 different Hostas in group 1. Leaves just breaking down, tips and edges.

1 hosta, 3 leaves. Your thoughts?'

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Suspect Hostas...opinions?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

On the 3 different hostas, the first two are signs of too much water and too cold of a temperature. This can also happen if the foliage is shipped really, really wet in a box. The leaves just keep sucking up moisture but there is no way to get rid of the excess. These hostas also might have been growing in a really protected greenhouse environment or in a hothouse and the leaves aren't used to the elements.

The third of three might have dried out at one time and if it is cold then new roots aren't forming fast enough to absorb more water, or worse there might be crown rot from too much moisture and now the roots aren't absorbing any water at all.

On the last one you have 3 pictures, the first shows signs of Hosta Virus X. The brown patches migth be spring burn, but nothing serious, but those green splotches in the first picture are definitely viral.
mpedersen
USDA Zone: 3b

Re: Suspect Hostas...opinions?

Post by mpedersen »

Alrighty, all 3 leaves were on the same plant in that second set, so that plant goes in the fire ;) Bummer, as I was digging the odd streaks in the leaves (it's a Pineapple Upsidedown Cake).

Certainly, water and temps make sense on the other three - plants with this much foliage have to be coming up from greenhouses or the south...I think our nighttime temps are still in the 40's...and we had rain for almost 3 days straight shortly after they went into the ground. Wont' rip any of those out and burn 'em up!

Matt
New Topic Post Reply