Calling Dr. Lockhart, please....

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

eastwood2007

Calling Dr. Lockhart, please....

Post by eastwood2007 »

HI, Chris -

I have a few seedlings in my garden that look 'weird' this year - they look like HVX, but it would be HIGHLY UNLIKELY out of all the hostas I have that these would be infected. The seeds came from a reliable source, and they went right into the gardens from the seed trays - into a brand new bed. To my knowledge I don't have anything else in my gardens that are HVX infected.

I have some Agdia tests, but they are a year out of date. I did test one and it showed negative, but I'm not sure the test is still good... did get the control line, but nothing else. I think I remember Steve from Agdia saying as long as you get a control line on the strip that the test worked?

We've had really unusual freeze, thaw, frost cycles here. I also sprayed the beds with Roundup - maybe as things were already beginning to unfurl.

My question is, even if this isn't HVX, how do I get it tested for other viruses? It is very important to know, as they are in the same bed as some of my best hostas. Besides the fact that they are my most favorite seedlings....ever!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Calling Dr. Lockhart, please....

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Charla,

If the test strip gave you a good control line then the test worked fine. I agree that we've had some really unusual frost/freeze cycles through the winter that could have affected a lot of plants, so I've been telling people to not worry about the first or second set of leaves but look at the next set instead to see how they come out.

So are you seeing mottling, spotting, or mosaic patterns on the leaves at all? Those are the things that tell me there is a virus potential. I don't imagine a young seedling would have had time to develop cell collapsing already, as that doesn't really happen until the virus concentration gets high enough.

I would recommend posting pictures of them so we can see what you are worried about, then go from there. If you can't post pictures then just email them to me.

Hope that helps.

Chris
ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

Like you, I've had some strange freeze thaw cycles this year and my hostas have some terrible looking tissue. I'd leave them put and when the next flush of growth comes, examine it.
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

They look enough like virus that it makes me really nervous.

I tested them again with Agdia tests for HVX, (test kit is one year out of "fresh") but definite control lines and no HVX line.

I can't just "watch" them for awhile....my guineas have taken to intermittently munching on hosta leaves, and could easily spread a virus, it that is what it is. They are in the bed with all my expensive breeders and special hostas that can't be replaced. The flip side is that I don't want to destroy them unnecessarily as they are/were wonderful seedlings (from 2009 BTW).

So my question at this point is: Is there a lab somewhere I can send them off to for testing to see what it is?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

The University of Minnesota plant disease clinic accepts samples. You can request electron microscopy, I think they are charging $50 per sample.

http://pdc.umn.edu/

Any chance of sending me a picture of them? You can email me at hallsons@perennialnursery.com
New Topic Post Reply