Black Hills-hvx?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Black Hills-hvx?

Post by sweetee »

Since finding hvx on striptease, purchased from Van Bourgondien/dutchbulbs in 2008, I began checking all hostas in my collection which were purchased from them. Not sure, but this looks like hvx on my Black Hills. What do you think? I have two more hostas I purchased from them, which I will be checking. Thanks.
Attachments
Black Hills
Black Hills
Black Hills closeup
Black Hills closeup
viktoria

Re: Black Hills-hvx?

Post by viktoria »

Very suspicious. A customer brought me a leaf of BH, purchased at a high-end nursery, that had a full-blown case, so I know there are virused ones out there.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

Unfortunately, I got three of these from the same source. The other two don't have this type of marking on the leaf, but they came together, so all will have to go. An interesting thing, this is a new leaf on the hosta, so I cannot blame frost damage or cold temps. I've isolated it to watch it for now, same with the other two. Thanks for any opinions. I'm so glad I found this site!
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

Just a follow up. I don't know now because I did a hvx test on it, and it tested negative. I made sure to use the part of the leaf, which was bubbled and yellow dots. I guess I'll watch it instead of throwing it out.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi there,

I'm also not sure about this one - it sort of looks viral, but I'm on the fence about this one a little. This would be a good candidate for further testing, but since it isn't really worth it then just watch it for a while. I think if you see this getting worse or showing up on any other new leaves then pitch it.

In a way a positive test would have been easier to deal with, as now we don't know if it is just another virus or what... Sorry.

Chris
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

Yep, It's not that it's "special" and I couldn't toss it. Just shocked me that it was negative. All other leaves are fine. The other two black hills hostas I got with it, show no signs. Just surprised me, because after watching your hvx DVD, I could have swore this was hvx, but then again, what do I know? :roll:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Plant them in pots and see what happend, that way you can get rid of them with out any problems at all
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

Regarding pots; I know it seems unbelievable, but I grow almost all of my hostas in pots, then just upgrade the size of pots when needed. I move them around the yard. I don't have a lot of land, but you'd be surprised what you can do when you grow almost everything in pots. Works for me! Oh yes, but you have to feed and water a lot in the summer. :D
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I have a lot in pots too, so I know :wink:
Several members grow in pots, from US and Europe, but I do not think I have seen someone in zone 5 before - what do you do in winthers :-?
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

I don't do much. I know that sounds crazy, but I put my hostas all along the fence, under a Maple tree, the rest are on concrete, with just my potting tables over them. My maple tree sheds so many leaves, that I pile them on top of each pot (2"), and that's it. I do lose a couple each year, but I think it's mainly because I cannot figure out which is best; crown level with soil, or slightly submerged. I lost Lucy Vitols this winter and when spring hit, I saw the crown slightly above the soil. It also looked mushy. So, that's about it.

Interesting, but I don't lose any which are on the concrete (too bad they all don't fit there). Oh, I also double pot all of my hostas to help protect/insulate their roots. I don't use those cheap plastic pots. I use the old, thicker, nursery plastic pots. Hard to find, but had a friend who got me some, and all my friends save their heavier pots, after planting their bushes and plants.

So, that's worked for me so far, unless anyone has 10 acres to spare :D ....
sweetee

Re: Black Hills-hvx Follow up

Post by sweetee »

The plants have tested negative for hvx ever since. One plant still has odd looking leaves, more prone to frost damage. I'm going to repot it. the others are thriving. So, definitely NOT hvx.
New Topic Post Reply