Hell-fire and damnation!

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Kas

Hell-fire and damnation!

Post by Kas »

Dadgummit! My "Gilt by Association" just popped positive for HVX. I am so ticked off! That was not a cheap hosta when I bought it in '06. I am pretty sure it got it from an "El Nino" that was purchased in '04. I didn't know it was positive until two years ago. :evil: So no telling how many plants are affected now. GBA was in a pot for a couple of years, but in the bed it's in now, it gets stepped on at least twice a season by the kids. The other hostas are jam packed into that bed since it is one of the few that isn't sucked dry by tree roots. But there is a mole that tunnels through there all the time. I sure hope he and the kids haven't spread the virus. And I broke a couple of roots when I took it out. I hope I don't spread it either. I did test three other hostas, two right next to GBA and a "First Frost" that was coloring weird like "El Nino" did. They all came back negative. Whew! I tried to post a pic, but it said my file was invalid. It has been so long that I am not sure what I did wrong. Oh well. It was ugly. But only one half of the plant. Weird.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Hell-fire and damnation!

Post by sweetee »

I'm so sorry to hear that! I just got a positive too. Makes you want to test every gosh darn hosta you bring into your yard.
Maybe we should start a hosta replacement club, where kind donors give a hosta start for hosta losses; hvx, flood, tornado. :)
That would be kind of funny. Anyway, just good thoughts to you for your garden.
On your pic upload; I had that happen once, but my pic was too large and I didn't realize it at the time. Not saying that's your problem with your pic, just that it happened to me.
New Topic Post Reply