Which Agdia strip?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

iron_ranger
USDA Zone: 3

Which Agdia strip?

Post by iron_ranger »

Which Adgia strip would you order? ImmunoStrip ISK 16600/0025 (25 for $105) or STX 16600/0025 (25 for $70)? I'm not clear on if there is any difference aside from the fact that the first one includes sample bags. Is the second option essentially the same but you need to purchase the sample bags separately?

Does it matter what time of year you test - i.e. can the results be unreliable if you test too early/too late in the season?

Finally, does the hosta need to be of a certain age before the virus is strong enough to show up on the test? I purchased a S & S from a local nursery last year that looks suspicious, but it's still bitty thing. Any such thing as too young to test?

Thank you!

~Patti

https://orders.agdia.com/inventory.asp? ... ta+virus+x
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Which Agdia strip?

Post by steg »

In the past I have purchased the kits. It comes with everything you need so there is no need to worry you don't have something you need.

You can also change the quantity on the order page to 5 ($27.50). Buying 25 is a lot, depending on how many you wanted to test.

I don't think it should matter what time of the year you test.

As for age? Tough call as you do need enough of the virus to build up in the plant to trigger a positive response on the test strip. If you do run the test and get a negative result, it is still possible that the plant is infected. If you are seeing signs of infection, then there is a good chance that you will have enough of an infection/virus around to get a proper result on the test.

I would post a picture here before I run any tests. It possible you can get a good confirmation from this group without having to spend money on a test. However, you can also test after opinions are given here.

Good luck.

Mike
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, you need to buy the entire kit which includes the strip and the buffer bag. They do offer for you to buy extra strips but only if you have the buffer bags already.

If you are seeing suspicious symptoms then the plant isn't too young. If you have a really young plant that doesn't show symptoms yet then there is a possibility that it might not have a high enough concentration to give you a positive test. Usually I recommend waiting at least a year, so I think your plant would be old enough if it has it.

And I agree with Mike, feel free to post a picture of your plant, or if you don't know how to edit and resize pictures you can email the picture to me at hallsons@perennialnursery.com and I'll take a look and post it for you.

Hope that helps.

Chris
iron_ranger
USDA Zone: 3

Post by iron_ranger »

Thanks Mike and Chris!

Chris - I did send you an email. Tried to post but the file was too big. I'll have to play around with that.

I appreciate your input!

~Patti
New Topic Post Reply