Darn - something bad just showed up

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Darn - something bad just showed up

Post by redcrx »

Had no problem with virus last season. Didn't see anything odd until this morning. Aomori Gold that came in last season just started to look ugly. I have pictures of it earlier this season that looked normal.
I ran a test strip on it and it's negative but there is a problem with this plant.
The last frame is after 30 minutes.
Attachments
Aomori Gold 11 0756.JPG
Aomori Gold 11 0757.JPG
test 11 0763.JPG
test 11 0776.JPG
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
eastwood2007

Re: Darn - something bad just showed up

Post by eastwood2007 »

If it is showing symptons as strongly as it is and the test is negative, it probably isn't HVX. I don't see much green in your testing solution, so maybe you should try once more?

I wonder if it isn't aphids or something as there is damage along the veins. Maybe something damaged the veins causing the darker coloration....I've seen insect damage in lighter colored hostas that cause the surrounding tissue to turn darker.

I'm certainly not an expert though....hopefully someone who is will weigh in...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Ed,

I don't think it looks quite like virus either, and was wondering if this is a fungus like sooty mold. Can you wipe/wash off the discoloration with a little soap and water?
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

Chris might have something there. Look up from this hosta. What kind of tree is it under, and what do you see when you look up? There is an old saying:

Make the diagnosis fit the symptoms....not the symptoms fit the diagnosis.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Chris\s commetns made me think of two years ago when we had a very bad aphid year and all my hostas under my trees got covered with a dark substance that looked a lot like yours. I would also try washing some ot them with soapy water to see what happens. I washed a few whole hostas since there was a graden tour coming up.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

There is nothing above it. It is in the shadow of my deck. Possibly in cleaning the deck some type of cleaning solution got sprayed over the edge. The other hosta in that space are dark and may not show the problem. Hope that's all it is. Thanks folks.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply