Fan dance virus?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

ShortShadows
USDA Zone: 3B

Fan dance virus?

Post by ShortShadows »

Bought Fan dance from a local home based nursery with around 150 hosta varieties last summer. I am questioning if I have a virus.
Attachments
fan dance
fan dance
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Re: Fan dance virus?

Post by ogrefcf »

It looks like it might. Chris will know for sure. Some close ups of the leafs would help also, but my guess is it does. :(
Owen
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

:eek:

Yes, your Fan Dance is BADLY virus infected. Was it looking like this when they sold it to you? If so, let them know about this forum (if you can) as they have a lot to learn. Fortunately it looks like this is planted far enough away to safely dig it out, with as much of the root system as you can, and then never plant another hosta in that same spot. Put a big rock or some plant other than a hosta there.
ShortShadows
USDA Zone: 3B

Post by ShortShadows »

Booooooo. I called the nursery yesterday but have not gotten a response.
Thank you so much for your help.
Attachments
fandance1.jpg
fandance2.jpg
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

I figured Chris would know right away and agree it was badly infected, but didn't want to say since I'm still new to Hosta's and HVX. The leaves make it really easy to tell for me that it does. Sorry Carolyn :( .
Owen
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Yipes. So sorry.

Was walking past an apartment building in downtown Ottawa about 45 minutes ago and passed a VERY badly infected hosta. Unfortunately nobody around to tell about it.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply