Do these hosta have HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Do these hosta have HVX?

Post by jerryshenk »

Well, I'm very new to all this...a year ago, I didn't even know what these big-leafed plants at our new (to us) house were. Now, my wife is rather into hostas, has a hosta garden idea, we look at hosta gardens as we drive around, we've split a few and got some from a friend. That list line brings me to this message...I don't know if I have a problem or not. I kindof think the "gift hosta" has HVX. The first thing I notied was the green specs in the white and then the way the veins are green, then the variation in the green. Then, on picture #1, there is an area right above the middle of the picture where the vein kindof overlaps.

Then as I got looking around, there is some variation in color at the "green/white edge" in all our "Night Before Christmas" hostas (at least I think that's what they are) - we probably have hundreds of them and they were probably all planted 20 years ago or more although I don't know for sure. The planting time and lack of attention makes me think it's unlikely that they would have gotten HVX.

Anybody have any thoughts?

1. Gift hosta leaf
DSC_20110806_101330 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

2. Gift hosta plant
DSC_20110806_101340 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

3. Night Before Christmas (I think) leaf
DSC_20110806_101630 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

4. Night Before Christmas (I think) plant
DSC_20110806_101630 by jerryshenk, on Flickr
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Do these hosta have HVX?

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome to the forums.

All of the hostas you've pictured here are actually the same plant: Undulata Univitatta. None are Night Before Christmas. When Undulata gets stressed out you get that dark green misting in the white portions of the leaf. Stress can be from extreme heat, drought, too much sunlight, compact soil, tree root competition, etc. If it was a recent transplant then that might have been all it took and it should be fine next year. If it does it again next year you will want to amend the soil, water more, or find a new spot.

Hope that helps :)

Chris
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by jerryshenk »

That's good news, Chris. I'll keep an eye on them next year. The hosta in the first 2 pictures was a transplant this year and it's right at the end of a hot, dry spell. That one's a little far from the house so it has probably not been watered after the first week. The other hosta hasn't been watered at all.

Is that Undulata Univitatta a really old Hosta? One problem I had with calling them Night Before Christmas was the date - I think that one came out in '94. That's only 16 years ago and I think the landscaping here was done before than. I'm guessing that this one is quite a bit older.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Yes, Undulata is a really old hosta and one of the most common.

Chris
New Topic Post Reply