HVX ???

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Rosenzobel

HVX ???

Post by Rosenzobel »

Hello,

I´ve got a new Hosta this year- potted it and all the leaves came up nice......now- some of the older leave change colour sinand it looks like HVX to me?? Funny thing this leaves came up totally normal and green....I´ve got this Hosta from somebody I thougt I could trust.,..what do you think???

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: HVX ???

Post by ViolaAnn »

The first and last pics (same leaf?) look as though they might be, but the others are near the vein but not right along it. When did this start to show? Has the plant been under stress? I think I'd like to hear what Chris says.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

Hello,

it started 3-4 weeks ago.first just a bit color change-now its geting more an more and looks more and more like hvx to me?
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

I think it might be HVX also, but agree with Ann on waiting for Chris's judgment.
Owen
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

It may just be that it is getting ready to go down for the year....I wouldn't pitch it yet....I agree...wait to see what Chris says...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

I tokk 3 leaves and send them to the Nursery-they want them to test them.....So maybe I´ll know more next time....
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hello,

Sorry I missed this posting earlier. Yes, these pictures look like virus. You can even see some of the light veins developing on the newer leaves too. Will be interested to hear what the nursery finds after they test it.
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hello,
I agree w/ a virus. I first thought, early stages of tobaco rattle virus. On the other hand, I have seen hvx come in many forms and looks. Remember in conclusion, the Agli test trips only test for one particular virus. They have at least three individual tests for different viruses; the most common ones associated w/ hosta and other plants.

Good Luck,
Rick
Be part of the solution
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

I dig that hosta out and wait what the nursery will say......another one i can´t trust ;-((
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Please, can I ask where you bought it, or what ccoompagny name was on the label ?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

Yes- I bougt it from Fr**n in NL....they wanted to send me a new one and promised me to tell me wheter it was the virus ore not ( they wanted to test the leaves) but until now i heard nothing from them..
;-((((((((((( :( :x
New Topic Post Reply