My winter project (one of many)

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

My winter project (one of many)

Post by Chris_W »

Hi there,

This winter one of my projects will be to go through the HVX forum, read each topic, and update everything so that there is the most current information. I'll also try to give a complete update as to the current state of the virus in gardens and nurseries as I go. It's hard to believe that it has been over 10 years now since I first saw an HVX infected plant, and 8 years since I about first lost my mind trying to get a handle on it and educate people. Yes, I was obsessed with it - heck, just look through my photo albums from 2003 to 2005 and all you see are examples of virused hostas! We were almost ready to throw in the towel at the end of 2005 and thought that we might need to either quit the business completely or try growing something else. We lost a lot of money that year, and HVX was a major factor in that. We are glad that we decided to stick around :)

If you find any topics that appear to have really old, outdated info in them here, just let me know and I'll take a look at those first. The battle with HVX isn't over by a long shot, and with so many other virus problems out there it just serves as a lesson how important it is to push for virus free stock for all ornamental plants.

Thanks for helping us all get through this :)

Chris
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Re: My winter project (one of many)

Post by Aud »

I came here today to see the update of this virus. I have only purchased 3 hostas since you started alerting us. I was afraid of infecting the ones I had grown to maturity. I just started concentrating on purchasing other shade garden plants to compliment the Hostas I had purchased.

It seems to have calmed down or maybe because of education more people are not purchasing infected and plants.

Looking forward to see your winter investigation project results. LOL
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: My winter project (one of many)

Post by thy »

It have not calmed down at all.
But now you have the change to bye hostas from nurseries like Hallson with out HVX or take the risk.
Good places and then the other ones :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply