Just got back from Lowes

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Just got back from Lowes

Post by jerryshenk »

My wife was at Lowes the other and and talked about these nice looking hosta they had. I went to check them out and really, look to see if I could spot any HVX. Some of them did look nice though, nice big, Francis William...but, we didn't buy any. Tell me how I'm doing? The pictures are a little bad...from my phone.

Possible virus, looks like inkbleed along the veins and edges and maybe a little cell collapse:
IMG00229 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

Card from that one (the leaf in the foreground is from another plant):
IMG00230 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

This one might be ok, not sure, looks like mottling:
IMG00231 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

Card from the 2nd one:
IMG00232 by jerryshenk, on Flickr
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Just got back from Lowes

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Yes, the first one is definitely showing signs of virus which is most likely HVX. You can even see it in the leaf behind the card you photographed. The second one is Undulata Albomarginata and it can get misted margins when stressed, but it doesn't show signs of virus, but I still wouldn't touch it or any of the other hostas they are offering.

Sadly I don't think we'll ever see the end to HVX, especially in stores like these :(

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Chris
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Just got back from Lowes

Post by jerryshenk »

Thanks - that certainly wasn't the only leaf..there were quite a few like that. We're definitely planning to stay away from them.
New Topic Post Reply