Odd looking hosta

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

bkay2000
USDA Zone: 8a

Odd looking hosta

Post by bkay2000 »

Chris,

Would you be so kind as to look at these hosta Pics?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 84.html?13

Everyone thinks they are cold damage except the Royal Standard. We haven't had any cold weather.

The trial garden guy has been out of town a lot this spring and they are putting up a big exhibit. I don't think he's seen these.

Thanks,

bkay
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Odd looking hosta

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Bkay,

I actually answered it and then saw this message afterwards, and mixed up the original poster name in my reply. sorry about that.

Chris
bkay2000

Post by bkay2000 »

Thanks, Chris

bkay
bkay2000

Post by bkay2000 »

I heard from the Arboretum guy today. They know about the virus on the Royal Standard. They think it's TSWV. As far as they are concerned, it's all part of the trial and finding out what and which varieties do well here.

As far as the extensive caterpillar(?) damange; ditto. They rarely spray. If something has to be babied to stay alive, they abandon the trial.

Thanks again.

bkay
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Good God, why are they keeping it? I'm certain it came in that way to them and was unlikely to get it there, but why risk keeping it around??? TSWV has a huge range of host plants (ornamentals, vegetables, and weeds) and spreads really easily by several species of thrips. That is a huge risk to have it in the arboretum at all. Trial over, they should get rid of it :eek:
New Topic Post Reply