Buttercups

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Tomdooley

Buttercups

Post by Tomdooley »

Hi everybody,
I sent you pics of my second year hosta buttercups from Düsseldorf Germany. Over a matter of a few days only, they suddenly look bleak. Anybody knows if this is the hosta virus or perhaps a nitrogen fertilizer issue?
Your input is very welcome!
Attachments
P1030732.jpg
P1030726.jpg
P1030729.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Buttercups

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome.

This is called spring desiccation burn, and it is caused by cold temps (below 40F). Maui Buttercups is related to Frances Williams and the yellow leaves can get this. The plant itself is fine, just damage from cold. If you take off those leaves it will look better but it won't really hurt if you leave them on.

Chris :)
Tomdooley

Post by Tomdooley »

Chris. Your quick and competent reply is very much appreciated. Thanks a lot!
jgh

Post by jgh »

We are now seeing the price we have to pay in our garden for the very early, long spring. Many are reporting that their hostas have made an extraordinary "leap" in size - not sure if all of this is a true leap, or if we are just not used to seeing them this large so early and forgetting they keep growing into late summer. Whatever the case - glorious time for Minnesota hosta gardens - I'd say 2-3 weeks ahead of a normal year right now.

BUT... big BUT... worst year ever for combination of frost damage to early foliage - in most cases not killing, but contorting early growth... and spectacular spring desication. I've never had any desication on the Maui Buttercups family before, but I too have some this year. Many yellow plants that normally don't show it have it this year.

Ah, well... it beats hail!
New Topic Post Reply