Is it just stitching or something else?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

bkay2000
USDA Zone: 8a

Is it just stitching or something else?

Post by bkay2000 »

I bought this plant last week at a local chain nursery. I found this last night. I see no ink bleed anywhere. I know HVX is common in striptease, but I grow in pots, so it's not the end of the world if it has HVX. I can just toss it. I've looked at online photos of Striptease with HVX and it doesn't look exactly like this, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

bkay

ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Re: Is it just stitching or something else?

Post by ogrefcf »

I think it looks okay, no virus IMO.
Owen
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

It is really hard to tell from that picture. It might be the start of some collapsing tissue or it might just be some kind of physical damage that caused it. If it was me I'd give it a quick HVX test, but I have over a hundred or so of them here so it isn't a big deal to test one here and there. Since it is isolated to the tip of that one leaf it might not be anything. Maybe that eye was having trouble unfurling. But I would consider it sick and not let it play with any other children for a while.
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

I would in honesty say it's fine to be honest apart from the odd brown mark (frost or emergent damage?) I can't see anything wrong but I am no expert in hv X
New Topic Post Reply