HVX at duck pond

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

HVX at duck pond

Post by ogrefcf »

A place we go to feed the fish and ducks has some Hostas next to the building looking at them it appears some of them have bad HVX. This is the first time I have seen it in person and want to confirm that it is.

The Hostas

Owen
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Re: HVX at duck pond

Post by ogrefcf »

Looks like a Gold Standard

Every year they weed whack this down when they start to die. Makes me wonder if they can spread it that way.
Owen
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, that's HVX. If they cut them down while still green it would be easy to spread, but if they do it after a frost it is less likely. Something like this will probably always have HVX there :(
gesila9
USDA Zone: 5

Post by gesila9 »

Owen, is the duck pond near you? I'd love to get some pictures of the underside of the leaf..... then we can compare frost damage versus HVX.

Gesila
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Gesila,

It is on old leaves, newer leaves, and even leaves that just came out, so it is definitely HVX in this case. Take a look at the leaves that haven't lightened yet and you can see it there too, so no chance of frost on those that just came out.
New Topic Post Reply