Empress Wu

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Empress Wu

Post by sweetee »

empress wu
empress wu
empress wu new eye
empress wu new eye
CLOSE UP
CLOSE UP
The attachment EmpressWu.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_4523.JPG is no longer available
Hi, I bought this from a very reputable source two years ago. There was an odd leaf pattern on a leaf of another hosta in the box, which caused me to email the company. They do test for hvx, so I never considered this would be a problem, since we were all going through frost damage at the time. 2 years later, this is what my empress wu looks like. I think I'm going to be throwing out a lot of hostas this weekend. Pretty sad over the entire thing. I've included pics of the mother and the new eye. At first this looked frost damaged, as the leaves were furled. Just wanted to share pics in case it helps someone. I container grow most of my hosta.
Attachments
CLOSE UP
CLOSE UP
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Empress Wu

Post by Chris_W »

It looks like the plant had winter damage in the container and needs new soil and possibly a larger container to grow it in. When you have container grown hostas that either dry out too much, get too root bound, don't get enough nutrients, or have some freeze damage in winter they can look like this. I'd just repot it and see how the new growth looks as to me it simply looks very stressed out.

Hope that helps.

Chris
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

negative test, one red line
negative test, one red line
Chris; how the heck are you so smart? This hosta looks so nasty (close up) that I was ready to toss it. I'd love to have your experience :D . Also, I tested it and posted the picture. Am I correct that if it is a positive, there should be two red lines? There are only an upper red line on my test strip.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, if it was positive there would be two lines.
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

thanks, the mother looks great, but that side sprout still looks nasty, plus something is trying to eat the leaves on it. I may think about dividing it and putting it in it's own pot. Any suggestions?
New Topic Post Reply