Cleaning Tools

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Cleaning Tools

Post by sweetee »

Hi, I have been using Lysol to clean my tools, but just a question; I often use scissors in the garden, has anyone done studies on whether or not a boiling water dunk would totally kill hvx? Thanks
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Cleaning Tools

Post by Chris_W »

Water boils at 212 degrees which in theory may be hot enough to kill the virus, but the scissors would have to reach that temperature also. Scrubbing them off with a disinfecting wipe or spraying with lysol and wiping them off with a paper towel to remove all plant sap and debris is effective, but carrying around a pot of constant boiling water may be dangerous and may not work unless the plant sap and debris also reaches 212 degrees making the scissors way too hot to handle. I would not advise it.

Chris
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Chris, I have been using my steam cleaner on my tools and using it for insect killer. Ya know trying to do the green thing here. So far with the Brugs it's has helped a bunch not to spread the virus. I have been doing this for 5 years and haven't had a problem. I also use it in the greenhouse when I clean it out twice a year. I have the professional Shark which has
a stronger spray than the smaller home use one. One has to be careful not to burn the leaves if one goes this route.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Steam is even hotter than boiling water, so it should do a good job of disinfecting and cleaning if you have that kind of tool :)
New Topic Post Reply