Three HVX Candidates

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Planetalker
USDA Zone: 7A

Three HVX Candidates

Post by Planetalker »

Hello all,
I started planting Hostas about 4 years ago and really love them. I have been learning alot about Hostas including the problems with HVX. I believe 3 of my Hostas have the virus and just wanted to confirm with the knowledgeable folks here.

The first on is my first Hosta, Pauls Glory:
Pauls Glory HVX.JPG
Pauls Glory II.JPG
The second one is Striptease which I purchased from a pretty respectable Nursery this year. It had not leafed out yet but here is what it looks like fully leafed out.
The collapsed and glaucious tissue seems pretty apparent.
Striptease II.JPG
Striptease III.JPG
Lastly is Stiletto which I have had in a planter.
Stiletto HVX.JPG
Your opinions on these would be much appreciated, although I think I can guess that you will confirm this is HVX.

Thanks,
Mike
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Three HVX Candidates

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome to the forums, though I'm sorry it has to be under these circumstances.

Yes, Paul's Glory is definitely infected and a really good example of color change and collapsing tissue.

Stiletto also looks virus infected, showing the telltale signs on that one.

Striptease is hard to tell, because the distorted portions are confined to the tips of each leaf only, and appear to be older, first sets of leaves. If that is the case, this might be frost damage that got the tips only, as the plant was emerging. If you see distortion and discoloration on newer leaves too, or on portions that extend down the leaf more, then yes, it could be HVX. If these are the only two leaves then it is hard to tell. Is there bubbling or tissue separation on the backs of those leave, only near the tips? If so, it is frost damage.

Unfortunately, if you bought the Striptease at the same place you bought the other two (or any other hostas) I sure would be cautious and suspicious of those two as they seem to have a real problem with their plant supply.

Sorry for the bad news.

Chris
Planetalker
USDA Zone: 7A

Post by Planetalker »

Thanks for the reply and the welcome Chris. Striptease is staying in it's pot until I can be assured it isn't HVX. I'll probably wait to see how it looks next year and let it winter in it's pot. I will have to dig Paul's Glory out this fall. Shame to lose the original Hosta from my garden but I won't take any chances with an infected plant. I have a Captain Kirk that is showing signs of ink bleed as well so it will go too. I can't help but wonder how many casual gardeners out there have infected Hostas and are totally unaware. It's a real shame the growers in Holland and elsewhere have not taken this problem very seriously.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

They will take it seriously when we stop buying from them!

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply