Is this HVX on my new Patriot?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

blacksheep998
USDA Zone: 6

Is this HVX on my new Patriot?

Post by blacksheep998 »

I recently purchased this patriot hosta from a retailer I've bought many other hosta from over the years, all of which remain perfectly healthy. Just today though I noticed some slight distortions on a few leaves and am worried I've finally run across the infamous hosta virus X.

I hope the experts here can let me know what they think.
Attachments
2013-05-31_07-40-46_922.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Is this HVX on my new Patriot?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Patriot rarely if ever exhibits color change when it has HVX, but instead will show this sunken tissue look if it shows anything at all. I think you have a good eye to pick that out, and yes, it does look like HVX.

Sorry for the bad news, and keep an eye out on the other plants you've purchased from the same source.

Chris
blacksheep998
USDA Zone: 6

Re: Is this HVX on my new Patriot?

Post by blacksheep998 »

That sucks. I did stop by there on my way home today and told them about it. They said I could exchange the diseased one, but I'll have to get a different variety because all their patriots are also showing symptoms. Seems that they got a bad batch.

I have other hosta purchased in previous years that all look fine, as does the orange marmalade I bought along with the patriot. Most of them were bought at least 3 years ago so I'm reasonably sure they're all clean.

The hankey panky though looks like it might be sick now that I'm looking at it again. But that was a tiny little one that they gave me for free because it didn't overwinter well so I have no problem throwing it out.

Here's pics of the orange marmalade and hanky panky.
Attachments
Orange marmalade
Orange marmalade
Hanky Panky
Hanky Panky
New Topic Post Reply