Paul's Glory

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Paul's Glory

Post by rufie98 »

I went to a local large nursery recently browsing their many perennials and hosta. They sell approx. 200 different hosta and have been in the business for over 50 years. This Paul's Glory caught my eye and I had an opportunity to ask one of the staff members about it. She kind of shrugged it off saying that there were some hostas that have not sold well and they have had to keep for a very long time. That was her explanation. I have to add that their prices are not competitive e.g. Touch of Class $36.99, Eternal Flame $38.99.

So I got to wondering does this Paul's Glory have HVX? What do you think? I would think this would be a big deal for a large nursery like this one.

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Paul's Glory

Post by Chris_W »

Yuck! That is definitely virus infected. It really could be HVX but I also see some mosaic patterns that are similar to Tobacco Rattle Virus, so could be both :eek:

Sounds like you tried to warn them :(
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Post by rufie98 »

Thank you Chris. That news is not good. I am very disappointed with this nursery and how the employee treated my comments so lightly. I will try to go and visit them again next week and see if I can speak with someone else to deal with this issue. If I am going to purchase hostas at this nursery, I want to know that the hosta virus is being treated seriously.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

If they don't treat your concerns seriously, I hope that you will let us know what the nursery is and where it is.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply