Pineapple Upsidedown Cake Possible HVX

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

GardenGeek_WI

Pineapple Upsidedown Cake Possible HVX

Post by GardenGeek_WI »

Image I spied this on my Pineapple Upsidedown Cake yesterday. The plant has been in the ground in the same spot for about 10 years and never showed this before. There are maybe 4 or 5 leaves that have spots with this being the most and the least being only 1 or 2 spots. The rest of tyhe plant looks fantastic. No HVX showing in plants around it. Thoughts would be Greatly appreciated. Thank-You, Kelly Image
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Pineapple Upsidedown Cake Possible HVX

Post by Tigger »

It doesn't look like typical HVX to me.

David
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I'm with Tigger in that it doesn't look exactly like HVX, but I do think it looks like some kind of virus. I don't think there is any other explanation for these kind of markings, so I would pitch it. Other viruses spread by different types of insects and can move around a little easier in the garden on their own and unfortunately the incidences of plant viruses on perennials continues to climb so it is possible to have a virus show up on its own, or this has been there longer than you think and just now you noticed it.

Sorry :(

Chris
GardenGeek_WI

Post by GardenGeek_WI »

Thank-You both so much for your thoughts. While I am So glad it doesn't seem to be HVX, I am bummed to have to take it out. It is such a pretty plant now that it has matured. However, not wanting to take a chance of others being infected I will get it out asap and destroy it. Thanks again, Kelly
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'm sorry for the bad news, Kelly.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
GardenGeek_WI

Post by GardenGeek_WI »

Thank-You Ann,,,at least I know now that it's not HVX,,,that makes me feel a bit better. Still hate to lose the plant when it's so nice right now,,,but, I would rather lose it than have others become infected.
New Topic Post Reply