Hosta Virus X or something else?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

grdngrl3
USDA Zone: 6b

Hosta Virus X or something else?

Post by grdngrl3 »

I am new to Hosta gardening and planted a bunch of different Hostas last year. This one looked great last year when I planted it but looks ill this year. I can not tell whether the plant is stressed out from the strange weather we had in Maryland this Spring or whether this plant has the virus - or another one. Many of the leaves have a blemish and I am not sure if the corrugation is just the way the plant looks or if it is tissue collapse. Any information would be wonderful. I wish I had known about this virus when the Hosta bug bit me last year! I would have been far more careful in what I purchased from various sources. Thanks for your help.
IMG_20150514_175513.jpg
IMG_20150514_175415.jpg
IMG_20150514_175529.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hosta Virus X or something else?

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome to the forums.

This is probably cold damage of some kind, and not a virus. Nothing to really worry about, just can look bad.

The texture is normal corrugation that some hostas get as they become more mature. This is just fine.

Hope that helps to ease your mind a bit :)

Chris
grdngrl3
USDA Zone: 6b

Re: Hosta Virus X or something else?

Post by grdngrl3 »

I wanted to thank you for responding to this question. I just updated my password, since I forgot the other one so sorry for the delay.

I really appreciate this forum and the sharing of information. I planted so many hostas last year and have not been able to find a local nursery willing or able to shed any light onto the HVX concerns. I want to take some more pictures and order some test strips to check out my current situation. In part, because I gave some hostas to two neighbors last year and I really want to be sure they are not infected, though mine of that variety look great.

I have never order bare root plants but since you are so diligent in your testing, you will be getting some business from me! Many thanks. :)
New Topic Post Reply