Liberty HVX Brother Stephen HVX ??

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

jgrinter
USDA Zone: 6

Liberty HVX Brother Stephen HVX ??

Post by jgrinter »

20150602_154450.jpg
20150602_154716.jpg
I have had this Liberty in my garden for 7 years. It has never been moved nor have the hostas around it. No cutting with tools. However, 4 years ago I planted a Brother Stephen near it, bought from a very reliable source, with high recommendations from Dave's gardens people. Brother Stephen is very textured so I never thought about HVX.

We did have a frost as Liberty coming was out. However, my other Liberty, more sheltered, on the other side of the garden, 30 ft., doesn't look like this.

I am so upset. Liberty is my favorite and I can't believe after 7 years this is HVX. Please tell me it isn't so. I've looked at all the pictures here and still can't decide myself.

Thanks for your help. If it is, do I dig them up and put in trash? Can i ever plant hosta there again?

Judy
Attachments
20150602_154536.jpg
20150602_154555.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Liberty HVX Brother Stephen HVX ??

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

It doesn't look like HVX - neither to me actually - just frost damage on Liberty that caused it some trouble unfurling probably. And did your Brother Stefan test positive for HVX? That one leaf just looks like an oddity that can happen from time to time, again could have had trouble unfurling and developed a twist there, but I don't see any outward signs of HVX.
jgrinter
USDA Zone: 6

Re: Liberty HVX Brother Stephen HVX ??

Post by jgrinter »

Chris, thank you so much for your reassurance and willingness to share your knowledge. I am so relieved and happy. Judy
New Topic Post Reply