Hosta 'Blue Freckles'

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

pwgoff
USDA Zone: 7b

Hosta 'Blue Freckles'

Post by pwgoff »

Is there definitive info on whether Blue Freckles is HVX-infected. According to the hybridizer, it didn't come from an infected plant, but was a true sport. Looking at it, however, is another story. The coloration and patterning do look like HVX infection. Does anyone have a handle on this or do I need to have it tested?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hosta 'Blue Freckles'

Post by Chris_W »

Do you have a picture of yours? Looking at all the pictures online there is no doubt in my mind (or anyone else who is knowledgable about HVX) that this is an HVX infected plant.

When a plant becomes infected it might start in one eye and might appear to someone that the one eye sported. Also if that eye was totally separate it also might look like it sported. But again, there is no doubt in my mind that Blue Freckles is an HVX infected plant.
pwgoff

Post by pwgoff »

I'll take a picture of it and post it. I bought it directly from Bud Martin, the hybridizer. I may have to have it tested to know for certain. You're right; it looks exactly like examples of HVX infected plants
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

You can always mail me a leaf and I can test it for you. Just put a leaf with no extra moisture and nothing else, just a leaf, no water or paper towel or anything else, in a ziploc bag, put that into a second ziploc, then mail it first class mail to:

Hallson Gardens
14280 S Meridian Rd
Cement City, MI 49233

If it isn't infected with HVX then I would still say some other kind of virus is at work there. Tons of different HVX infected Birchwood Parky's Gold were given names and introduced, some were even registered, so the parentage on this one is another reason to be very suspect on it too.

Chris
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I don't know how old this list is, but it shows Blue Freckles as "probable HVX."

There are a number of known, HVX-free "mottled" hostas. I discussed them in an article in issue 24.1 of the Delaware Valley Hosta Society newsletter. You can find it here: http://www.delvalhosta.org/#!newsletters/c1ebp. A key feature that almost all of them are spring-variant, and lose the coloration as the season progresses.
pwgoff

Post by pwgoff »

P1140060.JPG
It's been a year since my original inquiry. I appreciate the info provided. I chose to keep an eye on 'Blue Freckles'. It looks even better this year than last. I'm sure, considering its parentage, that some sort of pathogen is at work here, but, since it's in a pot and I like it, I think I'll keep on watching it for further developments!
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Wow, that's ugly, and without a doubt that is Hosta Virus X. I don't know how the introducer thought it was a "true sport", but sometimes when a hosta is infected it will only show on one side, especially if the crown isn't sharing nutrients from one side of the plant to the other. Or it may take a really long time to infect the other half of the plant.

But yes, that is definitely HVX and in no way is that a sport. Thanks for sharing a picture, and if Bud Martin still wonders if this is or isn't HVX infection I would be willing to test it here or he can send out a leaf for testing himself.

Chris
New Topic Post Reply