HVX Soil?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

HVX Soil?

Post by sweetee »

Hi, Is there any way to reliably test the soil for HVX? I have areas of my yard where I used to dump used soil. This was pre HVX knowledge. I now would like to plant hosta there, but not without finding if it has HVX in the soil.
There aren't any hosta planted there now, but lots of bushes and flowers.
Thanks.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: HVX Soil?

Post by Chris_W »

Honestly I don't know if that is possible or not. In the research trials they tested it by actually planting hostas and waiting to see if they became infected. The only good thing to take from the research was that the transmission rate wasn't 100% but was somewhat low, more like 10 to 20%. Time might make that number go down a little more too.

So I think you just need to use your best judgement. I wouldn't be putting any one of a kind plants there, but it wouldn't be a bad place to just put some generic plants.

Another thought would be to dig out big holes and fill in with fresh soil or fresh compost for each hosta. This should lower the transmission possibility much lower and maybe close to 0.

Hope that helps you out.

Chris
sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Re: HVX Soil?

Post by sweetee »

Thanks, I had already planned on doing that, but was ready to pour a bucket of disinfectant in the hole! :D
New Topic Post Reply