On Stage with virus

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

scottsmith
USDA Zone: 4

On Stage with virus

Post by scottsmith »

Hello,
It was suggested to me that I post a photo here of a plant that was recently sent as a "gift" along with an order recently purchased.
The other plants had no sign of problems, but none have been put into my garden. The hole is older bug damage. The spots are what I am questioning. Is it HVX or Tobacco Strike or Rattle Virues?
Also just purchased X test stripes. Should I waste one on this plant or not?
Thanks, Scott
Attachments
Hosta On Stage
Hosta On Stage
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: On Stage with virus

Post by Chris_W »

Wow, what a disgusting looking plant to be sent as a gift. Did it look like that upon arrival?

I would certainly not keep it, and would question the person who sent it about whether or not any of the rest of the purchase is healthy.

Is it hosta virus X? Hard to say, but I would be leaning towards some other type of virus. If you tested it and it was positive you would throw it away. If you tested it and it was negative, then it is probably some other virus, and you would throw it away. So keep your test kit for now, maybe use it on the other plants you got.
scottsmith

Post by scottsmith »

Thank you,
This was fresh out of the box after a hot two-days travel. The other two plants actually looked very nice and were large. The downside is they were all in the same box together.
Believe me I have no intention of keeping the plant.
The seller refunded my money after I raised concern, so now this is just for my personal information.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I wonder if these H. montana cultivars are more susceptible to TRV/TMV? We bought an Atlantis one year (late summer) from a reputable source, and it looked great, but came up with obvious virus symptoms like this. Agdia HVX test was negative. We got our money back, dug out the dirt, and planted something else.

David
scottsmith

Post by scottsmith »

I threw the plant out. Took Chris's advice on not wasting the test kit on this one. Through other groups on facebook several folks agreed it did not look like HVX but some other virus. The two plants that came in the order look fine but I will keep them planted separate in pots from the rest of my Hostas and keep an eye on them.
New Topic Post Reply