HVX on Striptease?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Joolie27
USDA Zone: 4

HVX on Striptease?

Post by Joolie27 »

I'm wondering if this plant looks like it has HVX?
Attachments
IMG_6858.JPG
IMG_6861.JPG
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: HVX on Striptease?

Post by Chris_W »

It sort of does, but also might be frost damage from when the plant was first coming up. Is there some bubbling of the tissue on the back side of the leaf?

The reason I suspect frost damage is that the markings stop about midway down the leaf and then there is nothing. That leads me to believe that only that much of the leaf was out when it got damaged - the remaining part of the leaf wasn't unfurled yet or was still underground.

If this is the only leaf showing it then I think this plant is probably okay. I really don't see the telltale signs on the clump photo.

Hope that gives you some relief for now, and if you want to post a picture of the back side of that leaf go ahead and I'll take a look.

Chris
Joolie27
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Joolie27 »

Here's the other side of that leaf, along with another suspicious leaf and its reverse side. (We had hail here recently so my hostas took a hit).
Attachments
IMG_6859.JPG
IMG_6856.JPG
IMG_6857.JPG
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for sharing the pictures. That doesn't look like HVX to me. It is confined to the tips of only a couple leaves and I think it is tissue that was frost damaged and then collected water. The watery look front and back on only a couple leaves just isn't the right look for HVX.

Still be on the lookout for it, but honestly if you only have these two leaves and nothing else on that large plant I think you are okay with this one.

And sorry for the late reply on this.

Chris
New Topic Post Reply