Are these two hostas virused?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Are these two hostas virused?

Post by rufie98 »

I don't see any new posts here on this Virus X forum so I am not sure whether I will receive a reply.

I purchased two hosta from a horticultural plant sale. My first question is: is it possible that the markings I now see two and a half weeks later were not there when I purchased them?
Attachments
Stiletto
Stiletto
Stiletto leaf - classic hosta HVX?
Stiletto leaf - classic hosta HVX?
Ground Sulphur
Ground Sulphur
rufie98

Re: Are these two hostas virused? (continued)

Post by rufie98 »

Continuing with more photos of Stiletto and Ground Sulphur.
Attachments
Ground Sulphur leaf
Ground Sulphur leaf
Ground Sulphur leaf
Ground Sulphur leaf
Stiletto leaf
Stiletto leaf
Pieter

Re: Are these two hostas virused?

Post by Pieter »

I'd take 'em both back for a refund if from a retail environment, they're virused, ain't no doubt about it! If they are from a club/society sale I'd contact the vendor and tell them to destroy the plants these divisions came from or at the very least keep them off the sales table. And don't be surprised if the vendor feigns ignorance, they have now been educated!
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Thanks Pieter!

Since my post I have received more information on these plants. They were from a horticultural society sale. Also, they were from a very experienced and educated gardener. She told me that several years ago the two hostas looked similar as they do above. Test strips were used at that time. Both were negative. She said that spring was particularly cold and wet. She said the plants looked normal later in the season. We both agreed that the virus cannot appear on the leaves and then disappear.

So the weather this spring is again below seasonal and wet. The "owner" believes that the same thing has happened once again. She believes that the new leaves on the plants will look normal and the "virus look" will disappear. She is willing to give me a refund. She has had these plants for a very long time.

So now I have to wonder whether this can in fact be due to weather conditions. I am not comfortable asking for a refund if these plants are not virused. Any comments?
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

No doubt that new growth ultimately will tell the story, so keep them potted up and see what the new growth shows, if anything!
I must admit I had an issue earlier this year that caused me panic, see this topic. New growth is what put a smile back on my face. Now that I take a closer look at your pictures perhaps I was a bit hasty, that could indeed by cold damage, unusual perhaps but again, new growth will tell.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Pieter, I had a look at your other post. I see what you mean.

I, like you, thought these hosta must be virused. But now, I have my doubts, and as you said, "new growth will tell."

Thanks for the education Pieter!
New Topic Post Reply