Amazing double hellebore!!!

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Amazing double hellebore!!!

Post by doublemom2 »

I got this picture from Kellie, this double hellebore is at her sister's house who lives just a few miles away from me.

Wow!!!
:o
:D
:cool:
Attachments
Lan Hellebore.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
insam

Post by insam »

Wow is right!! :o
And only 10 or 12 more years to wait for me. :lol:
A couple of babies:

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow is right! Never see the whole bush usually. How old is that plant ya think?

insam, your babies are pretty, too!

Thanks.... :D
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

insam... it'll be worth the wait. They are sure gorgeous!

Kellie will have to answer the question of how old it is.
Andi
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

That hellebore was a gallon pot two years ago. My sister and her hubby topdress the beds with rabbit manure, and it is obviously doing the trick! :D
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

When I talked to her, she said the secret was bunny poop! That picture is evidence that it really works. Hmmm... I wonder if she'd be interested in trading plants for poop? Must call her back tonight and ask...

Andi
Andi
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Geez, Andi, you know Mark will let you have rabbit manure any time you want.
Heaven knows that the cages can always use a cleaning, especially with 30 rabbits! :lol:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That sure is pretty, but I was wondering do all doubles droop that much or do some stand up more? I've never grown any doubles since they are so dang expensive, but you guys are going to force me to start saving my pennies :lol:
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Most hellebores do droop down to some extent... to protect their pollen since they bloom in winter and it rains mostly in winter.
Andi
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Insam, I think your hellebores are gorgeous. Makes me wish I could finagle you out of them! :wink:
insam

Post by insam »

a gallon two years ago!?? :eek:
rabbit poop along with PNW climate no doubt. I have 6 year old plants that are half as large. :cry:
Now, KellieD.... there you are getting the cream of the crop and still trying to finagle. I've always heard where there's a will, there's a finagle. :wink:
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Never underestimate plant lust!!
Just because I have 80 or so doesn't mean I have cool ones like yours. :D
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Ya know Kellie - you have plants spread out all over the Pacific NW! LOL! It's going to be so fun seeing your epimediums and toadies bloom this year. Don't worry, I go out and talk to them almost every day, telling them their mama will come and get them sometime soon :)

And remember I said I thought I had lost one of your double hellebores? I found it yesterday, just starting to come up. Yipee!
Andi
insam

Post by insam »

epimediums too?? wait a minute, i thought you were the one with plant lust, so why am i feeling funny inside?? ahh hellebores and epimediums..... heaven. You're the one with the cool ones KellieD! Or maybe it's the "grass is always greener" thing when you're an addict like we are. :)
Andi, you know it's easy to make more epimediums from epimediums right? just a little snip and a little root and presto! i'll even volunteer to "hold them" for a while if necessary. haha
KellieD, where do you get your epimediums? Heronswood? I usually order mine from Darrell Probst. I'll Look forward to photos later.
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Ooooh... Isn't Probst's catalog to die for? I love epis, and have many of my own already. Adding on Kellie's gives me a nice little collection. They are such amazing plants, I'm glad that in the last couple of years they're finally catching on and becoming more popular. They are so tough even though they look fragile.

Most of mine are just now starting to show flowers coming up, I'll be posting lots of pix on the forums in a few weeks when they're open. E. Black Sea has already been blooming for several weeks.

Hee Hee!!!
Andi
New Topic Post Reply