Hellebores are looking good!

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Hellebores are looking good!

Post by doublemom2 »

Tis the season for hellebores and cyclamen... I have 3 new hellebores this year, just beginning to bloom so as they open up I'll be sure to post more photos.

I have to thank Doris for H. Westerflisk (with the reddish leaves)... Thanks Doris!

Andi
Attachments
This has stunning silver covering the leaves... can't begin to describe how shiny it is!!!
This has stunning silver covering the leaves... can't begin to describe how shiny it is!!!
I can't remember the exact name of this one... Kiwi something Black... whatever!  It looks like it's going to be really dark !
I can't remember the exact name of this one... Kiwi something Black... whatever! It looks like it's going to be really dark !
LOVE the red color in this one, the photo just doesn't do it justice.
LOVE the red color in this one, the photo just doesn't do it justice.
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

They're looking good, Andi! That red really stands out, doesn't it?
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Yep Doris - the photo doesn't do it much justice. And it's very happy here with my other hellebores... thank you! :)

andi
Andi
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Andi, I was cutting back the Variegated Weigela and Contora Hazel Nut for hard wood cuttings and almost fainted seeing the Hellebora in bloom. I almost stepped on the poor dear and the color caught my eye. Just breath taking, only 2 grasses and 3 Rose of Sharons to go in my cutting back. Are you guys getting cold up there yet? They are talking snow for the Gorge area so I'm hurrying. :frosty:
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

KHT - it's supposed to get into the mid 20's here tonight. We're always about 5 degrees colder than the general Seattle forecast. I have my heater set up in the greenhouse, and everything that can remotely be shoved in there is already in. Pond has frozen over once already. Hmmm... I'll have to call my sisters in Hood River and see if they get snow tonight!

Happy pruning,
Andi
Andi
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

It snowed here yesterday, and this morning we have frost. Cold, cold...

One of my freak Hellebores is blooming, too. Here she is.
Attachments
hell20051.JPG
hell2005.JPG
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh Doris that is really pretty! Cool here this am but no frost yet. All the warning signs on the freeway were flashing warning of icy but it was clear sailing.
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Brrrrr..... it got down to 21 degrees here last night! And my stupid heater didn't work in the greenhouse, so it got super cold in there overnight! Grrrrr..... Oh, well, most things are in there more for getting out of the rain than for cold, so I'm not that worried.

Poor pond fish, they're frozen over LOL!

Andi
Andi
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh Andi, that's too bad. I see snow in the hills to the west of us this afternoon so I know you guys are cold up there. To windy here for me to work outside and finish up.
oldcoot

Thanks for the pics of the Hellebores.

Post by oldcoot »

Got up to 50* yesterday afternnon so OC went out and looked at his. His too are looking good. Almost lost them in the draught this past summer, but was able to keep them alive until this fall when we started getting some really good rains again. They have really greened up and bushed out again. Won't bloom for several months yet, so maybe they will grow some more !!.

Thank...............John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

I can't believe ya'll have blooms already! WOW! Normally we won't have any until Feb.
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
insam

Post by insam »

Those are looking good! I can't wait to see more. Thanks for sharing photos because it helps those of us who have a long wait to pass the time. :snow:
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

I've got more buds. Still not in full bloom, but they're starting to come along
Attachments
kellhell8.JPG
kellwhthell.JPG
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

More
Attachments
kellhell5.JPG
kellhell2.JPG
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Oh Doris - I name my photo files from Kellie's Hellebores "KellHell" also... too funny if you didn't know what it was refering to LOL!

I have a few just starting to open up some buds, must get out in between some of these nasty rainstorms we've had and take photos.

Andi
Andi
insam

Post by insam »

That is sort of funny. The double white looks like it might stand for "Kellie, what the hell?" :wink: Thanks for sharing more Doris. That double red is a nice color, and your closeup shot shows the flower structure well.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Really, KellHell is not a reflection of how they feel about me. Really, it isn't! :eek:

However, if I don't rescue my plants before the two year mark of them being babysat, Andi and Doris may change their minds about it!!
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Well Kellie - I don't know if you'll get all of your tricyrtis back, DH seems to have taken a liking to them LOL!

Andi
Andi
insam

Post by insam »

I'm not sure what the statute of limitations on babysat plants is, but 2 years sounds about right. haha
You all are lucky to be able to drive and pick out such wonderful plants. I have to plant thousands of seed and hope some are keepers, but I'm going to make a trip to your neck of the woods next year. I must, I must... In the meantime I'll just look at your lovely photos and try to be patient.

For anyone interested, I'll be going to the Balkans to look at and study wild hellebores in April. Maybe I'll post some photos of interesting ones when I get back.
kHT

Post by kHT »

I thought it was 7 years? Really pretty, I have to stop in here to get my fix as the tree that can down, well my hells aren't above ground now.
New Topic Post Reply