Kellie's Hellebores

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
impatience

Post by impatience »

What are O'Byrne plants?

isam, thanks for this info. I just love those hellebores-some are definitely prettier than others, but they are are great! (I am becoming a bit more discerning, but they are so new to me-last three years-that I am just thrilled that they have been "discovered" here).-
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
insam

Post by insam »

They are plants from Northwest garden nursery. You can see the nice galleries here. Some of their stock plants are from Heronswood. We are now in a good situation in North America because growers who collected from Europe over the past decade or two have made great progress.
http://www.northwestgardennursery.com

I know what you mean about discovery. I'm a bit of a hellebore freak (thats' why I get excited and sometimes post more information than necessary :oops: ), but my garden is in Tennesee and relatively few hellebores were available locally, even recently. So I had to get plants and seed from all over the world, not as easy as going to a great nursery. I grow all the species except one and many hybrids. They are wonderful plants and over half the garden is devoted to them. I'm happy to see their popularity is rising across the country. Soon we will all have wonderful plants in our gardens. I will post some photos after my Europe trip where I will study plants in the wild. You might be surprised that many species plants are equally as stunning as hybrids that have been developed for decades. Some are still absent in gardens unfortunately, and many have incredible foliage. New ones are still being discovered.
impatience

Post by impatience »

Thanks imsam! There is no such thing as too much information on this subject! How many plants do you have? I am glad to hear that they do well in Tenn as you are practically a neighbor. :D

I am just loving these plants. I haven't had them long enough to have big stands of them, but one year I will. I want them everywhere.
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

We're having a nasty wind storm here today, but I still managed to get some updated photos of more of Kellie's plants.

Here's a cute small yellow that Kellie and I liked last year. The flowers are smaller than most of the Hellebores.

I also have a gorgeous red. Not a great pic, because the wind is blowing too much, but you get the idea.
Attachments
hellpink.JPG
hellred.JPG
hellsmlyellow.JPG
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Another yellow, a nice rose-colored semi double, and a large plant that is just getting ready to open. You can see the spots inside the buds.
Attachments
hellopenspot.JPG
hellrose.JPG
hellyell.JPG
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Lovely burgandies
Attachments
hellburgspot.JPG
hellsingleburg.JPG
hellburgspot1.JPG
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thanks Doris, you just made my day very special. We started off with lots of crashes and booms here. I just tossed 4 wheel barrows of pine over the back fence and have 12 more raked up before the wind and rain kicked in again. :???:
Kellie those are some of the most awsome Hellies I have seen.
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Here were more that I took this morning in the wind. The power went out here around noon, and it just came back on this evening.
Attachments
helldbl11.JPG
hellwhtburg.JPG
helldblwht.JPG
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

All done.
Attachments
hellburgnec.JPG
hellburganemone.JPG
helldblspot.JPG
insam

Post by insam »

Those are all very lovely Doris. The 'hellwhtburg' is very special. Is it dark on the back of the sepals? Contrast like this is lovely i think, and the form is just perfect.
impatience wrote:How many plants do you have? I am glad to hear that they do well in Tenn as you are practically a neighbor. :D
Impatience, they will do well for you. We do have a similar climate. I have no idea how many plants I have, but I suppose mature plants are in the hundreds and total plants in the thousands. I plant hundreds of seed every year from various breeders as well as some from my own crosses etc, so there is always a new crop blooming each year. I separate a small percentage for hybridizing and always have more than I need. I'd be happy to send you some seedlings to get you started later in summer. Can't be certain what they'll turn out to be, but could send a variety. I'm in Seoul until the end of June and will not be able to pollinate this year.

Here is an old photo showing the garden environment. It is at the edge of woodland, and the plants receive full sun in afternoon. The apricot in the photo is interesting; the interior is a saturated yellow with bicolor on the backs of the sepals.

impatience

Post by impatience »

Thousands! :o More pics, please!

I would love to have some seedlings from your land. Thank you very much for the offer.
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Joseph, I love hellwhtburg too, and in the picture, it looks like the back of the sepals would be burgandy, but they're not. Here's a pic. Lots of burgandy veining on white.

And here's a couple more from this morning.
Attachments
hellanemspot1po.JPG
hellblack.JPG
hellwhtburgoutside.JPG
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Oh, and I love that apricot of yours, Joseph. Just gorgeous!

Here's one of Kellie's husband John's favorites, and I really like this one, too. I'm hoping it's a breeder. Come on, baby, Mama needs a new pair of shoes! Gimme the seeds! Don't be stingy!

Won't you all join me in a Hellebore reproduction chant? Kind of like doing a rain dance. But we're hoping for seed production. Let's go.

Oh, pollen, pollen, pollen, pollen...ovary, ovary, ovary, ovary...seed, seed, seed, seed...
Attachments
helljohn5.JPG
helljohn4.JPG
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

More black Hellebores. These guys always produce lots of seed.
Attachments
hellblack11.JPG
hellblack1.JPG
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

Here's a shot of one bloom that's opened. For some reason mine are not fairing as well this year. But it's still verly early in the season for us.
Attachments
Hellebore.jpg
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

My Goodness! All these pretties! I really like that bi-color picture of yours insam....I like them all! :D
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Ha! Hey, Joseph, I was wrong! That isn't a pic of the outside sepals on hellwhtburg! I had the wrong hellebore! I found the correct one this afternoon! And the outside sepals are a light burgandy. This is a lousy picture but here it is.
Attachments
hellwhtburgoutside.JPG
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Billy, my Hellebores vary from year to year. Some years, the flowers and foliage on some plants just limp along. I do seem to be having a good year now, but last year was not as good.

More pics...
Attachments
hellwhtburg2.JPG
hellfrillypink1.JPG
hellpinkanem.JPG
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Thanks, KHT!! I had forgotten just how beautiful my collection was. I'll be working at the Heronswood Hellebore Open in a couple of weeks, so I'll let you know what new treasures I end up with.

Want to bet Doris won't let me reclaim them until after this year's seed is ripe?!!
insam

Post by insam »

impatience wrote:Thousands! :o More pics, please!
Well, that includes young seedlings. Hundreds is probably less of an exaggeration. :wink: Anyway, unfortunately I don't have many photos but I'll post a few old photos in a new thread. Just don't expect them to be as cool as these plants! And I promise to post photos of the last two generations plus some of the new ones next year. It's hard knowing they are blooming and not getting to see the new ones. :-( But it provides something to look forward to.

More wonderful photos of great plants Doris. Keep them coming! That one is a beauty, hopefully it will set seed. Some doubles don't set seed well but their pollen can be used on singles (or more receptive doubles) to obtain double offspring.
New Topic Post Reply