Our Hellebores

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Our Hellebores

Post by kHT »

These were the ones that were up under the big tree disaster of 2006. They are slowly coming back to life, thank goodness as I was so sick over seeing the tree on them. What was even more surprising is I lost one last year, well so I thought but this year new leaves have appeared where the old one was. :cool:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Purdy Karma! I knew you all out west would just love this forum!! :P
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thanks LG. The last one is the newest hybrid to the collection and I had to zooooom in to show off the inside ruffle that it has! Let's see if this works. I have some baby seedlings so I can't await to see what they do.
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

People!! You did not have to encourage me to get hooked on another plant. I had a couple of Hellebores planted in a place that got sun until around 2, depending on the time of year. Last fall we had alot of rain and I didn't have time to get outside. We were out cleaning yesterday and I cleaned out the little bed for my Hellebores and they are looking pretty good. So I ordered a couple more. Royal Heritage and Winter Queen. Just what I needed; another PLant to be hooked on. I also found another nursery that has three heucheras that sound great:Dulce Creme de Menthe, Dulce LIcorice and DulceMocha MInt. the name of the nursery is Flowerville Farms.As soon as I get them I will let you know.
Lovin' the great northwest!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Gorgeous colors, Karma!! :cool: :P

I agree, Rosemarie. :lol: Can't wait to see your new Heucheras - they sound delicious. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
insam

Post by insam »

Rosemarie,

When I was still in college I got hooked on them. Here it is 7 years later and I am currently on an airplane somewhere over Western Mongolia headed to Europe to photograph them in the wild. So be careful! :-)
Luckily you have some great ones in your area. Near Eugene are some of the best at Pacific Northwest Garden Nursery.

Joseph
kHT

Post by kHT »

insam, I want full details with photos please when you have the time.
insam

Post by insam »

Hi Karma,

My plane leaves tonight, so once I'm back 'home' in Korea I'll post here. It was a very successful trip and I took perhaps 700 or so photos. Here's just a quick preview:

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

The hellebore forum will be quite active once you start posting all of those 700 pics:)!! The ones I can see look gorgeous - I especially like the black one with the double layer of petals.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
insam

Post by insam »

Well I won't post all of them of course. Half are of single leaves which are probably beyond the care of most gardeners. :wink: But there is a great variety even within single colonies and breeders would kill for some of them I would think; growers who have great diversity in their gene pool always have the coolest surprises crop up in their gardens. Mother nature is truly amazing, and we have only scratched the surface with hybrids.

Renaldo, doubles in the wild are very rare. My travel partner has been visiting wild populations for years and had never seen one. We saw five in this one colony! In current nomenclature the plants in the first two photos are referred to as H. torquatus. The third is a representative of H. atrorubens.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Well I don't want to see ALL of your single leaf pics, Insam. :wink: Maybe a few thrown in once in a while. LOL

Very interesting about the doubles rarely occuring naturally. I'm sure you were amazed to see 5 in that one colony!! When you refer to a colony of hellebores, how large of an area do they cover?

And it looks like in pic #3 that the one flower is much more upward facing than usual. Is that also the case for #2 or was it just your camera angle?
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply