OC's 06 Hellebores

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC's 06 Hellebores

Post by oldcoot »

Didn't realize OC had posted to this forum before. Was out watering his shade bed the other day - mid June - and saw this beauty STILL blooming. Little worse for our sumer heat, but it is under a tree with lots of leaves.
Attachments
Helleborus-2-06-03-06.jpg
Helleborus-2-06-03-06.jpg (48.51 KiB) Viewed 5121 times
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Pretty OC! I have seeds from Doris I am so excited about. But nervous too. I hope do them justice ! Yours are nice! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
insam

Post by insam »

Nice OC. They do bloom a LONG time. Most flowers have petals that fall off, but the sepals of hellebores persist and even help the plant with photosynthesis.

wishiwere, hellebores are very easy to grow from seed. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Doris (and Kellie) have some beauties. You could end up with something very special. :wink:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Insam. Doris did send info as well as site to read up on them, so I'm hoping now, I just have the patience! :) Looking forward to seeing them!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
oldcoot

It's that time of year

Post by oldcoot »

All of he Hellebore's OC have dropped all their dead leaves and are startting to put on some new ones. What kind of Fertilizer do you all use in the fall ?? OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

After all he recent prety hellebore blooms that were posted

Post by oldcoot »

:-? :-? :-? that have been posted recently, OC went out to check on his the other day when he took he pictures of the Arum Italicums. Checked his out, and found lots of green leaves, but NO pods or blooms yet. Really believe his will bloom in about two months......Will post then....OC in eager anticipation - plants look good..........
insam

Post by insam »

Hi OC.
I don't fertilize them at all, but if you want to you could give them most any general purpose type for perennials. The active roots of most mature hellebores are a foot or more underground, so it is best to prepare the soil deeply with compost and/or a time-released fertilizer when planting.
Joseph
oldcoot

Thanks everybody for helping OC

Post by oldcoot »

Really appreciate this.......Looks like OC may have to move some next spring after they finish blooming. OC
New Topic Post Reply