Need opinions on the following....

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Need opinions on the following....

Post by caliloo »

Hey all!

I do not have a single Hellebore in my garden, but that is about to change! Can you give me opinions on the following? Photos would be a plus too!

Helleborus x o. courage
Helleborus x o. Double integrity
Helleborus x o. double melody
Helleborus x o. integrity
Helleborus x o. melody
Helleborus x o. optimism
Helleborus x o. sympathy
Helleborus foetidus
Helleborus niger

Thanks!
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Where are you seeing these? I'm curious who the supplier is.

H. foetidus is excellent, in my book. I have a variety called 'Westerflisk' which has a nice burgandy edge to the bloom.
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Hey Doris!

They are at a local nursery on the Summer Clearance list. I am embarrassed to post how cheap they are.. just suffice it to say REALLY CHEAP. I just want to get the best performers since garden space is limited until I make new beds! LOL!

Thanks for any and all advice!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
insam

Post by insam »

Hi Alexa, the first 7 are essentially all the same I would think, likely Helleborus x hybridus. The last two will also do well for you. H. foetidus is one of the best foliage perennials on the market.
Liselotte

H. foetidus

Post by Liselotte »

I am happy to find out that H. foetidus is popular in the US :lol: For us, this native plant has become a weed. But what a fabulous weed! :cool: It is the only good looking plant in winter, if the snow is not too deep. i have learned to be selective and keep only the best. This year I found 3 variegated seedlings.
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Thanks for the info!

I picked up

Dbl Integrity
Dbl Melody
Optimism

and planted them a fwe weeks ago. I am surprised to see them putting up so much new growth in a relatively short time. If course, I did try to pick the ones that were bursting out of the little liner pots ad they seem VERY happy to stretch their toes right now.

I will probably pick up a few more when I go shopping again next week! :lol: and definitely a Foetidus.

BTW - are Hellebores Deer resistant? I am waging an all out war with a buck that has taken up residence in my yard. The stupid thing doesn't even run when I come outside now, he just looks at me and ambles off. I was so mad yesterday I picked up one of the dogs tennis balls and hit him square in the butt with it. He trotted a few steps and then stopped and looked at me like I was insulting him! SHEESH!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
insam

Post by insam »

Alexa,

I have a deer problem to the extent that I no longer bother growing hostas etc. and have never had a deer eat a hellebore (I have grown thousands from seed). I have heard of deer eating hellebore leaves (not sure if it's accurate), but if a deer ate too much the deer would probably die. I consider them totally deer resistant here in TN. There are very few pests/problems with hellebores.
New Topic Post Reply