Mulching Question

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
Hapygdnr

Mulching Question

Post by Hapygdnr »

So.... I am in zone 4 (north central WI). Have always admired hellebores. Late last summer I had the chance to get one and thought it would be important to mulch it for the first winter so it can get some protection and become well established. After the ground froze, I put down a good layer of pine boughs. Now I'm thinking if Chris' plants are starting to show signs of flowering (I imagine our weather to be quite similar) - I may have been wrong to do this? Mine was 4 inch pot size. Could it be starting under the boughs? Or is it too young to bloom? Should I remove the boughs? I would really hate to loose that plant. help.... please....
Thanks for any advice. Jeanne
insam

Post by insam »

Hi Jeanne,
Sorry I just noticed this or would have replied sooner. I think you did the right thing. Your boughs will help shade and insulate during cold, cloudless days so that is good. You could always peek underneath and see what is happening. Hardiness probably won't affect the root growth but if plants get started too early in a climate like yours the new growth above ground can suffer if temps get into the single digits for example. If anything you may want to pull the boughs back during warm spells so that the area around the crown is well ventilated and doesn't stay too wet during freezing and thawing etc.
Joseph
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Joseph I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a response to my question this am. I had almost given up! Thanks very much for your advice. Jeanne
New Topic Post Reply